Prayer is one of the most important aspects of the Christian life. A consistent prayer life will keep your faith stable. The book of Colossians says to, “Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart, ” (verse 4:2).
God’s greatest works in the earth begin with prayer and are carried out and upheld by prayer. When we are submitted to God in prayer and let the Holy Spirit lead us He gives us what to pray so that His will can be accomplished on the earth.
We’re often distracted when it’s time to pray.
Sometimes it is to easy enter into prayer, immediately tune in and focus our hearts and minds on the Lord so that we can “pray through” but other times when so much going on around us it can be hard to break away for prayer, and entering into authentic prayer and fellowship the the Lord can be even harder with the all the inner and outward distractions.
Prayer takes discipline and strategy.
Over the years of being an intercessor and a prayer wife and mom I’ve learned how to get beyond the distractions of everything around me, even those thoughts in my mind that want my attention and enter into God’s Presence to pray.
Beloved, if at times you find your self unable to pray, try these simple steps. I believe they will help enter into to God’s Presence and “pray through” with focus and intention.
- Enter into God’s presence with sincere thanksgiving – God responds to the thankful heart. A wise Intercessor once told me that thankfulness is the surest way to direct your attention toward the Lord and make a heart connection with Him in which you can sense the lines of communication are open.
- Don’t worry about the time – Don’t go into prayer looking at the clock, even if you have a time limit in which you can stay do keep checking the time. Focus on God instead.
- Focus your attention on Him – Learn quiet your soul so that you can focus your heart and mind in faith upon Him and you won’t have to strive in prayer.
- Leave out pretense – open up your heart and let Him in. Know that you can come to Him with an honest heart because He sees you and knows everything about you and still loves you. This is the quickest way break the barrier between you and God.
- Don’t use predetermined formulas – Be led by the Spirit. If He leads you to sing then sing, to read Scripture or a devotional do so, to be still and wait – know that it’s ok, to lift your hands or lay on your face in worship, don’t be afraid. Don’t allow your mind or other people to make you feel prayer has to be done a certain way each time.