Beloved, do you ever find yourself so busy that you can’t really dial into God or focus on what’s important to you?
I do. When we say yes to too many things we can be led in the wrong direction and lose focus on the important things. When this happens it’s a sure sign we need to slow down and refocus on what really matters.
When I get too busy I get absent-minded, and that’s my sign I’m doing too much, and that I’m distracted. That’s when I have to slow down, let go of the “many,” and hold onto the one or few things that are necessary.
I can tell you from experience that it’s not always easy to slow down and let go of things but it’s necessary when busyness gets the best of you, and you feel unbalanced, overextended, and distracted.
Like if your car suddenly seems to be going out of control, would you keep going? No, you would slow down and get your vehicle back under control before you proceed any further so you don’t end up in a wreck.
Here are my seven steps to slow down and choose the one thing when I get too busy.
- Halt your schedule.
- Turn off the noise. This includes social media, internet activity, TV, and all chatter.
- Fast. From food. Even, if only for a day or a partial day. The body and soul having cravings that cry out to be satisfied. In order to refocus the soul on the Lord and the important things, we must learn to tell those carvings no and feed our spirits the word of God instead.
- Make a plan to spend some time in your quiet place.
- When you get alone with God, being your time with worship and giving Him thanks.
- Place all your cares and the unnecessary things at His feet and remember what’s important.
- Ask the Lord what you should be focusing on.
- Get your Bible out and ask for a blessing on His word as if it word a meal. Then open your Bible and read it with the expectation of hearing His voice and fellowship with Him.
- Watch and listen to what the Lord will speak to you.
- Repeat. Don’t return to any unnecessary activity until you hear/feel the Lord directing you in what to do.
What do you do when you feel too busy or how do you ensure that you never get too busy and distracted. Please share with me.
Beloved, I hope these steps will help you.