I really like the song “Happy” by Pharrell Williams because it’s an anecdote for happiness and it has an upbeat and clean sound. In his song he relates that happiness is up to you! Happy Lyrics found here: Happy by Pharrell Williams.
Here’s my own take on happiness:
Happy (definition #1 from online dictionary) – Being especially well-adapted; fortunate, blessed
As an adult your happiness is up to you; it’s your responsibility.
Though it may sound cliché true happiness has a lot less to do with outward conditions and other people and a whole lot to do with what’s going on internally. If you look to others to make you happy you will always be brought down when they disappoint you. On the other hand if you look inward and upward to God for your happiness not much will be able to bring you down. You may still have good and bad days but you will always know how to turn your happy back on.
The Bible puts it this way, “have learned in whatever state I am, to be content,’ Philippians 4:11.
If you’re not happy, meaning well-adapted, if you don’t feel fortunate and blessed take some time to find out why.
Being happy doesn’t come easy for everybody.
It is a decision that we each have to make and live out with intentionality. Even those who have everything their hearts could desire aren’t’ always happy within. Valorie Burton talks about this in her book “Happy Women Live Better.”
I’ve learned how to be happy, that is contented in whatever season of life I’m in. I made it my responsibility and my priority to be happy with myself, my life, and to have inner-happiness in particular.
Happy (definition #2 from online dictionary) – Enjoying, marked by pleasure, satisfaction.
I’m a busy, working mom so I don’t have much time to do the things that I enjoy.
Below is my “happy things list.” It may change but for now it is what it is. After thinking about it, surprisingly my list is very simple and that’s ok. It doesn’t take much to make me happy. You will notice that I did not choose many things having do with other people, though I love other people and my family is very important to me, second only to God but this is about what makes me happy as an individual and keeps me happy without puling on other people for my happiness.
(To be clear, I do have a list of things having to do with people who do add to my happiness and they are also very important to me.)
Here’s my list no specific order but the first thing of course:
- Being in God’s Presence, in that moment in time when I know all is well and I am in that moment well-pleasing to my heavenly Father just because I’m with Him, joy unspeakable and full of glory fills my being.
- Sunsets, big cliffs and oceans together at the same time with picnic, maybe… sunrises are cool too
- Seeing babies smile and hearing their laughter.
- Flower gardens and peonies.
- A good meal in the company of good people and good conversation – dessert included.
- Achieving my goals and seeing my children achieve theirs. When I set out to do something and complete it, even small daily goals like eating right, reading my Bible and exercising I’m happy. There is nothing quite like finishing a race – that feeling you get when you accomplish what you set out to do.
- A good book coupled with good music and coffee or tea… in a quiet, clean, breezy sun-filled room
What makes you happy?
Beloved, if you don’t know sit down, think about it, and write down at least seven things big or small that make you happy. Today I’m making commitment to take more time to do things that make me happy and so should you.